The Municipalities of Huron-Kinloss, Kincardine and Saugeen Shores have declared an open air fire ban due to lack of rainfall and forecasted hot, dry conditions
Kincardine, Saugeen Shores and the area of Huron-Kinloss protected by the Ripley-Huron Fire Department are restricting agricultural burns, brush pile burns and any burn that is greater than one metre in diameter.
Residents are allowed to have recreational fires in outdoor fireplaces, Municipal bylaws have set fines and surcharges for those found to be in violation of the ban.
The open-air fire ban is in effect until further notice.
Recreational fires must be small and contained. Regulations require that recreational fires be smaller than one metre in diameter.
Never leave your fire unattended and always have means of extinguishment available to put the fire out.
If you discover a fire, it is very important that you report fires immediately by calling 911.
Residents are encouraged to use the following tips to prevent grass and brush fires:
• Clear all combustible materials such as tree limbs, leaves and other dry materials away from buildings and propane tanks.
• Keep barbecue propane tanks at least three metres from buildings.
• Wood piles should be stored a safe distance from your home.
• Trees should be pruned to create a good vertical separation from the ground.
• Clear out any accumulated dry or dead debris from your property.
• Cigarettes: Carelessly discarded cigarettes continue to be a major cause of grass fires during these dry periods. Smokers are reminded to please use care when butting out. Do not throw lit cigarettes out vehicle windows.
• Take care when refueling equipment, and avoid idling hot engines over or near dry vegetation.
If you have any questions regarding the open-air fire ban, please contact your local fire department.
Port Elgin Fire Station: 519-389-6120 Southampton Fire Station: 519-797-3906
The Town of Saugeen Shores By-Law 89-2001 restricts the days when residents can water their lawns.
IS YOUR HOUSE NUMBER EVEN OR ODD?
EVEN-NUMBERED HOUSES ON EVEN-NUMBERED DAYS
ODD-NUMBERED HOUSES ON ODD-NUMBERED DAYS
Between the hours of: 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM
and 7:00 PM and 9:00 PM